Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Catch and Release


Singer 99K, dated 1956, made in Great Britain, in cabinet, $39.00.  I did not bring her home.  She needed some lovin' with her electricals.  They were all there, but I wouldn't have used the machine.  The plug was non-polarized and was missing the guard on the flat aread and the foot pedal was rusty.  The machine head was in good condition, but the finish did have quite a bit of crackle on it.  Hand wheel turned smoothly.  Cabinet was ugly.  Decals on machine still in great shape.

Nope, she stayed at the thrift store, waiting for someone else to take her home and love on her.

I did bring something else home...

Fabric!

Top left is about a yard of a calico print, with the date of 1987 on the selvedge.

Bottom left is a seersucker with trains printed on it.  There were two pieces and they probably total 4 yards.  Probably not 100% cotton, though, at least not from my burn test they aren't.  That's okay, they will go in a kids quilt and no one will care.

The rest are Christmas prints.  Santa's and reindeer, probably a yard and a half.  Kitties and toys maybe a yard and a half.  Toy soldiers is two pieces and totals probably 4 yards.  Christmas trees maybe 2 yards.

So total of 14 yards of fabric.  And I paid $5.32 for all of it!  Not a bad haul!

1 comment:

Dora, the Quilter said...

I converted my 1939 Singer 99 to hand crank. However, on another machine I replaced the cord with a lamp cord that did have a polarized plug (although I don't really remember the details). None of the old machines will have polarized plugs unless they've been replaced. Lately I've been using an iron from the late 1980s, and it doesn't have a polarized plug either.
I wonder when polarized plugs became standard.