Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Skirts and Pants

No, I'm not doing any garment sewing, although my daughter's boyfriend did ask me to hem three pair of jeans.

I was thinking about my grandmother and my great grandmother and what they used to wear.  My grandmother on my dad's side always wore dresses if she was going out.  In her later years, she would wear a sweat suit in the house, mainly for comfort and warmth.  No jeans.

My great grandmother on my mom's side was a bit more progressive, even though she was older.  When I was younger, all she wore was dresses, but when I was in my early teens she started to wear slacks.  Pant suits.  Remember them?  As years went by, slacks were all she wore.  Not jeans, but the dresses were just for special occasions by then.

And as for me...  Well, I know that when I was in grade school, probably up until fourth grade, I wore dresses to school every day.  If it was cold, I was allowed to wear pants under my skirt until I got to school.

Now, of course, we all pretty much live in jeans.  With the exception of those who have to dress up for work.  Although the shedding of nylons and pantyhose in favor of bare legs has come about, I'm not sure my mother has reconciled herself to that fact.

No sewing last night.  In fact, I was in bed before 9 p.m.  Just tired, I guess.  I grilled some burgers and we had leftover potato salad to go with them.  Easy and good dinner.  Tonight I have some chicken breasts to grill.


No comments: