Monday, November 24, 2014

Weekend of sewing

Feel like I got a lot accomplished, even though I could have gotten more done.  I finished piecing the back for two of the nursing home quilts.  It's not really a Christmas print...
I had to add a strip on either side to make it wide enough, but there was enough in length so that I could load the backing on to Gemma and have enough to quilt two tops without reloading.  I'm even piecing together strips of batting for the quilts if I can.

The spiderweb string top is on the frame right now.  It is such a busy top!

In each 'spiderweb' the quilting will be a spiral.  The spiral is not perfect.  It's uneven and wonky, but that's the whole theme of the quilt, so it works.

In each 'star' the quilting will be a flower.  At least that's what I think it looks like.
And the borders have simple loops.

When I started quilting it, once again I was having some thread breakage on the top thread.  I decided to be real brave and loosen the bobbin tension quite a bit.  And guess what?  It worked!  Very pleased about that and with the results.

About a quarter of the spiderweb string top is quilted.  The next one in line is the unchopped block, which will have the same St. Patrick's backing.  hee hee hee.

No comments: