Monday, October 27, 2014

Weekend wrap up

We had such a nice time Saturday in Arthur!  Marla, Mary, and I met in Arcola, right off the interstate, then we drove to several shops and had lunch at a local restaurant.  It was a beautiful day!
This house is on the main street in Arthur.  All of the pumpkins are carved into jack-o-lanterns!  It was really neat to see.  I had to snap the picture quick because people kept walking up to it to take closer pictures and cars were driving in front of it. 

You can tell from the picture of the house that we had wonderful blue skies.  The temperature was perfect.  Just a lovely Fall day.

See my tower of spices?  Ha ha.  From the top, I bought black pepper, smoky paprika, cayenne pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, and sea salt.  These were from the bulk food store, Beachy's.  I need these to make my 'special' spice mix.  It's similar to Emeril's signature seasoning, but doesn't have as many ingredients.  He puts thyme and oregano in his, I think.  I like to make this up and keep it in a shaker bottle.  I use it as I would use season salt. 

Last night I made a beef roast and rubbed it with the special mix.  It was very good.  We had the roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn for dinner.  Then Ev and I played a couple of games of dice.  We watched baseball and foot ball for a while, too.  What a game that World Series Game was!  A shutout for the Giant's pitcher, Madison Bumgartner!  Wow!

The four fabrics across the top were bought at Miller's in Arthur.  They are going to be used in Bonnie Hunter's upcoming mystery.  The mystery also requires a black fabric and neutral fabrics.  I'm thinking this is the black I will use.  It's not my favorite fabric, but I have a lot of it.  I have a few pieces of white on white to use for the neutrals.  Going to dig around and see if I have just one piece large enough, but if I don't, using a few different ones will work.

There was a bit of sewing over the weekend.  While Ev was out enjoying a motorcycle ride, probably one of the last ones of the season, I managed to snag some time upstairs and now have 14 pieces to be sewn into spiderweb string blocks.  I would have liked to have stayed upstairs longer, but Addy had other plans.  sigh.

Do you see the turtle in the blue strip?  I'm loving the scraps I'm working with and I think that they will be fun for whoever gets this quilt.  I'm hoping that the recipient will notice all the little novelty fabrics.  There are animals, children, fruits, and quite a few other neat fabric prints in the scraps.
  

No comments: