Friday, August 8, 2014

Chomping at the bit

That's what I'm doing.  Chomping at the bit to get started on the next quilt!  I'm going to make a Carpenter's Star.  Here's the fabrics I am going to use:
I hope there will be enough contrast between the medium and the dark.  I think there will be.  I decided on the pattern last night then when I got up this morning before work I went up and chose the fabrics.  I still had a little time, so I cut some of the fabric into squares to be sewn into half square triangle blocks.  Well, I still had just a few more minutes, so I sewed a couple half square triangle blocks:

I like the way they look.  These are going to finish at 6" square, so the quilt only needs 64 squares.  Some are half square triangles and some are just 6"x6" squares.  It's all in the placement.  Should work up pretty quickly.  I'm adapting the pattern from directions given at www.quiltfrog.com/fourhour.html to make it square rather than rectangular.

And just so you don't think I am jumping into this before finishing the other top, here's what I did for borders on the 'unchopped' block!

The inner border is a light peach print and the outer border is a medium peach.  Those colors just seem real soothing to me.

Hoping to get these nh quilts all done early so that me and my friends can all do Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt together in November!

No comments: