Monday, July 14, 2014

A different kind of quiet...

I will readily admit that I enjoy quiet.  I work with people all day long and even on my drive home, the silence in the car is a luxury.  I don't often turn the radio on in the car.  In the evening, if there isn't much on t.v. (and there usually isn't), I will turn it off and sit in the quiet house and read.  About half of the time when I am sewing I do not have the t.v. or radio on.

There are different kinds of quiet, though.  In my house, I consider it quiet with no t.v. or radio on, however there is still noise.  The ceiling fans, the a/c unit, a box fan - they all have a quiet whir, but it is still a little bit of sound.  It's something easily tuned out.

When the weather permits and the windows are open, my neighborhood is for the most part a quiet one.  But there is still that bit of sound... the sound from the factory a half mile away that is a low hum.  I know this is one of the big machines and what it makes because this is where my husband works.  He laughs at me because if that machine isn't running, I will tell him about it.  The factory runs 3 shifts, so that low hum is always there, with the exception of Saturday nights if the plant isn't working 6 days.  Sunday is start up night and Friday is clean up night. 

Yesterday I experienced a different kind of quiet.  It was the kind that soothes my soul.  Yes, that sounds deep and dramatic, but I really don't have any other way to describe it.  It's peaceful.  On my way home from the grocery store, I took a little detour and drove off onto this one lane road that has a few houses set in the woods, some of which border a lake.  The silence was beautiful.  No cars.  No factory.  Nothing but the wind in the trees, a few squirrels scampering in the leaves and up the trees, and birds chirping. 

Beautiful.  Just beautiful. 


I've said before that I'm not a bird lover, but this peacock was so pretty I just had to take a picture of him out of the car window.  He was near the woods when I was taking my little detour. 

Some day I'm going to live in the woods.

No comments: